The position serves as Cytotechnologist in the Anatomic Pathology Service at the San Francisco VA Health Care System.
The Cytotechnologist works in the cytology section of the Anatomic Pathology laboratory. Testing includes
gynecologic and non-gynecologic specimens from the primary general medical and surgical institution and work
from out-patient centers. The incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day oversight of specimen preparation,
quality control, quality assurance and proficiency testing programs within the Cytology section. The incumbent
develops and prepares procedures to meet regulatory guidelines. The incumbent performs highly specialized
cytologic examinations on body fluids and other cytology samples. Work includes solving complex diagnostic
problems and modifying or adapting new methods or techniques to expand and improve service.
The incumbent must be qualified to screen specimens in cytology in accordance with the Clinical Laboratory
Improvement Amendments (CLIA) screening guidelines, under the guidance of the Director of Anatomic
Pathology, Chief, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service (P&LMS), who serves or designates another
pathologist to serve as the Technical Supervisor and General Supervisor for Cytopathology. The incumbent
serves as subject-matter resource in conjunction with the Technical Supervisor(s) for cytology procedures. The
incumbent must be accessible to provide telephone technical problems in accordance with the policy and
procedures of the department.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Receipt of specimens from clinics, laboratories, operating rooms or house staff, which involves organizing and numbering of specimens received in an accurate and timely manner.
2. Accessing of all specimens using appropriate log books and hospital computer system (VISTA). Complies with the guidelines of CLIA CAP and VA regulatory.
3. Process and reviews all cytology specimens including screening and assists in the performance of fine needle aspiration biopsies and performs on the spot adequacy assessment.
4. Oversees the daily operations of the cytology lab and ensures that VA policies and procedures are followed. Prepares stain, sort, and distribute slides for examination by pathologist.
5. Prepare solutions for use in the laboratories which may include fixatives, buffers, ad stains. Monitors stain quality preparation techniques and workflow in cytology.
6. Works closely with Pathologists to review all problem cases. Implements chemical safety and biosafety principles and procedures.
7. Prepares various elements of final reports containing diagnoses of patients' specimens. Participates in VA and CAP proficiency testing programs and performs GYN, non-GYN, and FNA slide screening, specimen tracking, workload data capture, statistics maintenance, rapid on-site assessment of Cytology specimens, and all other duties related to running the Cytology Laboratory.
8. Participate in the training of technicians, residents, students and fellows. Maintain the Pathology database, including organizing, filing, and pulling reports, blocks, and slides.
9. Retrieve diagnosis and other information from Pathology cases, including telephone communication, transcription of hard copy, photocopying of reports, data retrieval in VISTA, etc.
10. Responsible for assisting Lab Supervisor in implementing and maintaining all regulatory quality control and quality assurance functions related to cytology. Assist in Lab safety, ordering supplies and maintaining chemical inventory.
11. Performs other related duties as directed by the Laboratory Supervisor within the skills and knowledge to meet the needs of the Anatomic Pathology Service.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You must be ASCP certified
You must possess working experience in a medical facility as a cytotechnologist performing highly specialized
cytologic examinations on body fluids and other cytology samples; determining new procedures for preparation
and screening of cytology specimens and maintains current procedures; developing and implementing the use
of new protocols for performance of tests and evaluation of results; aiding in collection and specimen slide
preparation including fine needle aspiration (FNA), bronchoscopy specimens, touch preparations, and
endoscopy specimens; instructing clinicians on the proper method of obtaining cytologic specimens for optimal
diagnosis; preparing reagents and verifies correct instrument operation.
Independently attend all FNA procedures with spot adequacy assessment. Participate in educational programs,
quality management programs and contribute to disparity resolution between histological and cytological
correlations if any. Revise and update cytology manuals when appropriate
You must possess 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D.
or equivalent doctoral degree (YOU MUST PROVIDE A TRANSCRIPT IF YOU ARE BASING ALL OR PART OF YOUR
QUALIFICCATIONS ON EDUCATION)
You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job. You will be subject to background/suitability investigation.
This is a designated and/or random drug testing may be required
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
Additional Salary Information: The salary listed is the starting pay for a GS-11 Cytotechnologist up to the maximum salary for this position and grade level.
Internal Number: 91116665-3011513
About San Francisco Veterans Health Care Systems
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Our Pathology service is recruiting for Cytotechnologist and Medical Technologist. This position is considered "Hard to Fill" so we are seeking new ways to reach the certified technologist for fill these positions.
Olorum, sequi ad magnati nvenist ibusciis aut rae. Eritect ibusandandem hilitiam imus por simolest, iscieni moloreped quamus, velesedi totatemodis del il il ium experum erestio. Nam que sandebit volorestium dolor si toriae.